Wednesday, February 10, 2010

On Pocahontas

I have a confession: I think I am in love with the title character of Disney's Pocahontas. In my mind, she is the most beautiful of all the Disney princesses.

Now that I have that off my chest, let's talk about Pochantas the movie.

Being one of the few Disney movies that is historical fiction and attempts to recount real events, this is an outlier among Toy Story, Snow White, and The Little Mermaid. Still, it is extremely fictional.

The characters in the movie bare little resemblance to their real-life counterparts. John Smith's golden hair, blue eyes, and strong jaw are pretty funny though because he is made to be the ideal man he really felt he was. William Ratcliffe on the other hand is much like the Scar character in Disney's Lion King: disproportionate, self-absorbed, alternatively motivated, and a flaming homosexual. Thirdly, Pocahontas is portrayed as a beautiful young woman of about 19 to 20 years old with a slender yet voluptuous figure that not even the most desirable models have today. Not to mention that hair! Sorry, my point is, she's unbelievably attractive. In any pictorial documentation I have seen of Pocahontas though, she is not a very attractive woman. Additionally, let's not forget that she was 12 or 13 at the time of the British landing in Jamestown.

The depiction of the landscape makes 17th Century Virginia look more like the serene, rugged forests and mountains of the Sierra Nevada or Yosemite National Park. The waterfalls, towering pines, and babbling brooks are far too perfect.

Furthermore, the depictions of the whites and the depictions of Indians are so stereotypical it was almost laughable.

I understand the focus of catering to children for the movie, but the ideas and scenes that the catchy tunes and beautiful animation put in my mind as a child are startling. I haven't seen much of Disney's more recent works, but I hope they are trying to be a little more accurate if they intend to do any historical fiction or use human characters.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree that the movie depicts the story as almost too perfect with the majestic landscape and Smith's good looks. I also see your point that the movie needs to be fit for kids, yet there should be an attempt to make it more historicaly accurate. However,I just have to say Pocahontas is not the most beautiful of the Disney princesses. Cinderella or Belle would have to take that title! just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I don't really know how attracted I can be to an animated girl, but that did get my attention. Awesome response to the movie Hovel. You basically said everything that I noticed about it. It was extremely laughable how they portrayed John Smith, Ratcliffe, and Pocahantas; not to mention the beautiful scenery that was probably as far from accurate as you could be. This is definately the Disney crew at their best though--warping kids' interpretations of history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to be honest! Not every 18 year old male has a hardcore crush on Disney characters.

    Aside from that, I like how you highlighted the obvious fictional characteristics of the movie. Any four year old who can comprehend this would surely be in tears.

    Seriously though, good post, solid points, and you meshed everything together very well.

    ReplyDelete